Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Why Emergy?

'Emergy' can be defined as the total solar equivalent available energy of one form that was used up directly and indirectly in the work of making a product or service.

There is loads of scientific stuff about 'emergy' but that is not what this blog is going to be about. If you want to have a look at that start with Wickepedia and you will find various links.

I want to think through all the energy - physical, emotional and metaphysical that it takes to get a product, project or service in front of me. (You can tell I have an arts degree).

Why am I doing this? Am I a lentil weaving vegetarian Eco warrior who wants to spread my personal propaganda? I don't think so. I am sat here wearing a 'gap' jumper (Some of you have probably already started sending me hate mail. It was a present from a close friend, do I reject hospitality? It is 4 years old - do I buy a new Fairtrade jumper even though I don't need one?) This is contrasted with my Howies jeans - company run by totally cool, ethical surfer dudes - but they have just took a large investment from Timberland. Dave & Claire from Howies say that Timberland are also very cool guys - my extremely cool wife says they are a bit towny, they are definitely a much bigger corporation, who haven't really spread their ethical message thus far.

So Why? I want to treat the people, animals and the earth with care and respect.

So really why? I have a beautiful veggie but very cool wife who over the last 4 years has gradually helped me turn some of my thoughts and ideas into actions.

So . . . . . why? I have a belief, that we should love others, even enemies, (I'm not very good at the enemies bit) and also to look after the earth. The guys who I work and play with talk about 'rebuilding the ruined walls' - whether that is physical regeneration or metaphysical. The way we buy, use, throw away - is a really broken system that needs to change and really fast.

This blog will map my 'emergy footprint' though out 2007 . . . . . wish me luck . . . . .

No comments: