Sunday, January 07, 2007

New Year Anger!

I explained at the begining of this blog that I am involved in a number of community initiatives. I chair the Wakefield District Partnerships 'Sustainability Advisory Group' which promotes sustainable practice in our district.


I was absoluely fuming today when I heard what has being happening at one of Wakefield's recycling centres over Christmas.

A local Wakefield citizen after Christmas had his kids stripping of the paper, and plastic, seperating the bottles and cans etc. so he could take it down to his local recycling centre. He then realised he hadn't enough to fill the car so he went and spoke to his neighbour and took his waste as well.

They then jumped in the car and headed off to the centre - after a long cue they were told, "PUT IT ALL IN THE BIG SKIP WE ARE TO BUSY TO RECYLE TODAY - IT IS ALL OFF TO THE LANDFILL"


This makes me so angry. I am going to speak to people this week and get this issue addressed. I am sure the person in question has commitment to continue recycling but people so often in the district say, 'it all ends up in landfill there is no point recycling'. What can I now say to these people?

The WMDC website says "If we each take more responsibility for our waste, as individuals and as communities, we can try to ensure that our local environment is protected both now and for future generations." Well guys, individuals are taking responsibility but it seems that either council staff or policy is causing the problem now - get it sorted!

No comments: