Sunday, January 07, 2007

Happy New Year

A week late I know but we got home from Street Angels, (If you want to know more go to - wakefieldstreetangels.co.uk ), at 5am on New Years day and then I was in court in Leeds with a client at 9am, 2nd January! A busy start - but not the way I hope to carry on.

I said this blog would be considering my 'Emergy' consumption in 2007 - wrestling with the real issues of trying to live a sustainable life.


1. I am now vegetarian! - I had some chicken and mushroom pizza at 11.55pm on the 31st December and now the year of not eating meat has started. Before you ask I have not brought myself to give up dairy - that is too much. My aim is to buy local organic dairy products - so that I know they have been farmed in a sustainable manner.

2. Car - At the moment we car share 3 cars between 4 of us. We are going to go down to two cars as a start. My personal aim is to walk to any meetings under 2 miles and use public transport whenever possible.


3. Organic & Local - I have ordered our first organic veg box from a farm in Wakefield - I have been told it is totally organic and picked on the day - so I let you know on Friday what it is like. They are also delivering Organic Yorkshire Eggs to us.

4. Supermarkets - Can I survive without going to the supermarket? At home I think it is probably possible - at work when we have to cook for lots of people cheaply it will be a lot, lot harder. My aim at the moment is if we need supermarket provisions we will go to the COOP in either Outwood or Ackworth. The COOP has a long history of supporting both local and global communities. There is a strong commitment to fairtrade and organic. I am now a member of the COOP!


5. Clothes - I have been committed to ethical clothes for a while. I love Howies and above is a picture of my 'No Sweat' Trainers (from Arkadash.co.uk) I got for Christmas - thanks mum. My intention is to cut down on what I buy, go hunting in charity shops and then buy Fairtrade and organic clothes. By the way Howies sale is on NOW!

6. Heating - We have stopped out central heating coming on automatically every day. Much better to snuggle up in front of the fire. Today is so warm I haven't even needed the fire.

7. Cleaning Products - We have moved over to a range of organic, natural stuff - I'll tell you how it has gone!

No comments: